What is collective consciousness? Do we actually have an energetic effect on each other and our environment?
Everything is energy
First, let’s talk about energy. Everything is energy vibrating at different rates. Everyone has what is called an “aura” by us hippies or “biofield” by scientists. Our body’s natural physiology, our interactions with ourselves, our environment, and each other all create electromagnetic fields. Basically, living creates energy. We are all electromagnetic beings–that’s not just woo-woo, it’s actual science.
Every part of our existence is energy vibrating at different frequencies. The electromagnetic field generated by your heart is actually 100 times stronger than the electromagnetic field generated by your brain (Heart Math Institute) and it can be measured up to 15 feet away from your body using an EKG (Blakeway). The impact of your heart’s energy on another person has been measured up to three feet away (Eden).
What is collective consciousness?
To break collective consciousness down:
1. We are all connected energetically through our electromagnetic fields. Our energy is not contained by our bodies and exists outside of us as well as within us. Some of this has been measured and studied, but not all–and I believe that our energy extends even beyond what is measurable by a machine, but we won’t get into that here.
2. We feel individually, but we can also feel collectively. This can be any emotion; we can feel a collective fear, dread, despair, or hope, love, and happiness. You’ve probably felt the individual energy of anger from someone–now imagine everyone feeling that at the same time. This is collective energy.
There is a program called the Princeton Engineering Anomalies Research (PEAR) and they research the effect of human consciousness and whether or not it has the power to change the course of events (Blakeway). They started their research with individuals and small groups using what they call a “random event generator” (REG) that measures the electrical activity of the area and translates them into a positive or negative and inputs it into a database for further study (source).
PEAR then partnered with the Global Consciousness Project and installed a network of REGs around the world. Blakeway says that “these machines are a bit like electrodes…taking the EEG of the planet” and they are able to examine events where people seemed to become “resonant” with one another or connected to that collective consciousness.
Though none of these are “scientific conclusions”, they’ve discovered that we are linked up through different emotions; New Year’s Eve data shows “a rise in excitement leading up to midnight” then a decline shortly after (Blakeway). The data they’ve studied also shows that compassion is one of the strongest connecting emotions, but so is fear. The data shown in the hours leading up to the 9/11 attacks showed a rise “about four or five hours before the first plane hit and lasted for three days afterward” (Blakeway). This makes me wonder if we can collectively feel something about to happen before we actually see it physically.
3. Our energy can influence the environment around us positively or negatively.
Have you heard of the Maharishi Effect? In the 1960s, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi suggested that if even just one percent of the population in an area practiced Transcendental Meditation, that the area would see improvements. On average, crime in areas where this was practiced reduced 16% over three weeks (MIU). Suicide rates, car crashes, and even overall terrorist activity decreased as well (Caron).
Can you imagine if we all did this? If we all just simply took time every day to consciously raise our vibration for ten minutes every day–what would change?
What we give our energy to magnifies
On both an individual and collective scale, what we give our energy to magnifies. That doesn’t mean you’re going to be a victim of the collective consciousness–you have the power to create a safe and loving space in your own home.
What can you do to create a different energy in your home than the one that the collective is vibing with? Basically, redirect your focus!
- Turn off the news. I’m not saying don’t stay informed, because please do, but please also use your own awareness and intuition to sift through the mess.
- Get involved with a group that works from a center of love/compassion/progress rather than one that is reactive and fear-based.
- Donate your money to the organization you chose or thought of above
- Clear the energy in your home (ways to do that here)
- Take a break from electronics. Put down the phone, stop mindlessly scrolling–maybe take a walk, dance it out, or spend a couple of minutes deep breathing.
- Play with your kids
- Move your body
- Write out your frustrations, fears, and all of the above
- Make a future board, dream board, vision board–whatever you want to call it. Create the future you want out on paper.
- Be committed to your own energy rather than taking on the collective energy (practice mindfulness, meditate).
Sources (this isn’t University, don’t be upset that this isn’t formatted in any specific way):
- Heart Math Institute: https://www.heartmath.org/research/science-of-the-heart/energetic-communication/
- Blakeway, Jill: Energy Medicine, The Science and Mystery of Healing
- Eden, Donna: Energy Medicine, Balancing your body’s energies for optimal health, joy, and vitality
- MIU: https://research.miu.edu/maharishi-effect/
- Caron: https://blog.sivanaspirit.com/md-sp-meditation-lowers-crime-death/