Here are four root chakra essential oils plus, how to connect to your root chakra!
This month I’m learning about chakras and essential oils. If you’re new to chakras, they are wheels of energy in specific locations throughout the body. They govern different aspects of our emotions as well as the physical aspects of our bodies.
If one of your chakras is off-balance, this can show up as a physical symptom in your body.
Your root chakra is located at the base of your tailbone/base of the spine. It’s ruled by the goddesses Pele (the Hawaiian goddess of fire and the volcano) and Kali (the Hindu goddess of death and transformation). They both use destruction as a form of creation–think caterpillar to butterfly.
Signs that your root chakra is off-balance
The more “civilized” a culture is, the more imbalanced the root chakra seems to be. I found this to be super interesting considering it was the just a few days after the superbowl–did you notice how many women disapproved of the halftime performance? How many do you think are disconnected from their own root chakra? You can read more about what I think about that here.
We know that our mind and body are connected and that our emotions/energy can show up as a physical manifestation in the body. Here are some signs your root chakra may be off-balance:
- you feel anxious
- you feel dizzy
- you feel nervous
- you find yourself overthinking everything
- you get angry easily over small things
- lower back pain
- it feels like something is missing
- low sex drive
- you feel stuck
- you feel like you aren’t making progress
- you feel stagnant in relationships
- you find it hard to be present
Ways to connect with your root chakra
Dancing is by far my favorite way to connect to my root chakra and I’ve included my Spotify dance playlist at the end of the post!
Growing up I wasn’t allowed to take a dance class because I had “tendencies” (I liked a boy??) and dancing so close to a boy was “inappropriate” (and tbh, I just wanted to take modern dance). I was allowed to go to break dance club after school once or twice, but was told I couldn’t anymore because there were too many boys. Yet my Irish twin, a boy, was still allowed to go.
We’ve grown up molding our bodies into something to be deemed desirable or worthy or just to be seen, yet when we use our bodies to express ourselves, like through dance, we move cautiously:
Don’t be too sexy.
But still be sexy.
That looks weird. Don’t do that.
Wtf you look stupid.
Am I doing this right?
Even posting this video I’m like mmmm maybe you should have worn a sweater or something else.
And when we see other women moving freely and expressing themselves through their body we easily throw up a wall of defense:
She’s doing it for attention.
She’s a mother, she shouldn’t be acting this way.
But what we’re really doing is pushing down our own feelings and desire to freely express ourselves. Through our bodies. By ourselves.
Dance the way your body wants to move
Not how you think you should move your body.
Let it look weird.
Let it feel sexy because you’re in your body.
I have like, two methods of dance: dance like I’m in a fight or do the same move over and over. Either way, it makes me feel alive ✨
Root chakra essential oils
You don’t necessarily need essential oils to connect to your root chakra, but our sense of smell is 10,000 times stronger than our other senses, so it can be really helpful to tie a smell in with your rituals. Here are four essential oils for your root chakra:
Cedarwood: this oil grounds the body and it feels like, whole to me. Like home or a hug.
Grapefruit: supports self-acceptance and approval of our bodies
Myrrh: when your root chakra is unbalanced, you may feel like you have two conflicting thoughts in your head; what you believe and what you were taught to believe about yourself–specifically the voice of a parent vs the voice of your true self. This oil helps you to connect to mother Earth and find comfort in that connection (apply to feet + over heart)
Neroli: the oil of “shared purpose and partnership”, helps with positive sexual intimacy, and to relieve tension and stress
related post: diy breast massage oil
The root chakra is connected to the earth: putting oils on your feet is a good practice for this if you can’t physically get outside on the ground right now, or you can apply them to your lower back and over your uterus.
USE THESE OILS:
- before you dance (lower body movement helps energy to flow through the root chakra) Donna Eden says, “To dance from your root chakra is to dance with the Earth”.
- Use on your feet when you wake up in the morning or before you go to sleep
- diffuse daily
- Make into a massage oil to rub into your lower back, over the uterus, and on thighs. I am using my breast massage oil blend for this.
Signs that your root chakra is balanced
- you feel satisfied with life
- you feel good overall
- your digestive system is regular
- you have the ability to adapt
- you have the ability to let go
- you feel safe and connected
- you have strong relationships (NOTE: there are many factors that play into relationships–please do not blame yourself if your relationships are not where you want them to be and you are doing your part. And an imbalanced root chakra is never an excuse for abuse).
- You feel good in your body
- You easily make decisions and manifest
- You’re satisfied in your sexual relationships (again, see the previous note)
related post: ways to clear your energy
I hope this helps! Feel free to pin or share with your friends!