I hear people say “essential oils don’t work for me” all the time and you might be wondering the same thing: do essential oils work? I’m going to share five reasons why your essential oils don’t work.
Disclaimer: I am a doterra wellness advocate–you never have to buy essential oils from me but if you want to, you can learn more here.
First, let’s talk about SOURCING
A typical essential oil supply chain
Like every essential oil supply chain, we start at the farmer. After they grow the plants, the plants are taken to the distiller, sold to a broker/third party (and this is where we typically run into problems, but we’ll talk about that later). Then the broker sells the product to a company and the company then sells to the consumer.
doTERRA’s essential oil supply chain
doTERRA’s supply chain starts at the farmer, goes to the distiller, eliminates the middle-man completely, goes straight to the company, enters extensive testing, and after passing said tests is then sold to the consumer.
Things to look for in each stage of sourcing:
- When it comes to farmers and harvesters; are the farmers and harvesters treated fairly? Do they own their farms or did the company buy them out? Are they paid on time and compensated fairly? Does the company help to build up the community rather than just take from it? How is the earth treated? Is there an opportunity for partnership and growth?
- When it comes to the distiller there aren’t generally issues. Though there is a common misconception is that companies should own their distilleries, when it really doesn’t matter.
- Let’s talk about the broker: This is the middle man and where most adulteration takes place. Adulteration is also known as intentional additives to make the product go further and increase their profits. Most companies won’t know that this has happened unless they do extensive testing and have a database to run their batch against. Learn about copaiba adulteration here.
- Let’s talk about what happens when the product goes to the company. Most companies don’t test their oils for contaminants or additives and some will “routinely test”. This means they test a batch every once in a while and share their best results with the public.
When it comes to purity…
There is NO national standard of purity, which is why doTERRA created their own. This is called “Certified pure therapeutic grade”. You’ll see different variations of this on essential oil bottles everywhere: “certified pure”, “100% pure”, “all-natural”. (BTW, the FDA considers corn syrup to be all-natural, so just because someone labels it as such, doesn’t mean it actually is.
doTERRA is the MOST tested and IMO the safest and most pure. With our essential oils you can check out exactly what is in every single batch of single oils using our “source to you” website.
Do essential oils work?
Now, do your essential oils work? Short answer: it depends on the purity and quality of your oil. But let’s get a little more detailed:
Here are FIVE REASONs your essential oils DON’T work
- You have trash oils–the ones that are basically nothing more than liquid candles. There are a lot of ways to fake an oil–yours might just be fake and that’s facts because at least 80% of essential oils on the market have been contaminated or adulterated in some way.
- You aren’t using your oils often enough. Oils don’t work like a one-and-done pill, they require frequent use in SMALL amounts over time. They are powerful and we don’t need to use half the bottle to feel the effects! For example, you may feel an energy boost from peppermint right away, but to feel consistently energized you may need to address some underlying factors using supplements and lifestyle changes.
- You’re using your oils as a liquid bandaid instead of addressing the root of the problem. Let’s go with feeling tired all the time–WHY do you feel tired all the time? What time are you going to sleep? How much screen time do you have before bed? Do you have a nighttime ritual to signal your body that it’s time to go to sleep? Is your thyroid basically asleep? Essential oils can help to support all of these things. BUT if you’re not creating lifestyle rituals around your essential oil use and just expecting your oils to do the work, then your oils likely aren’t working for you.
- You’re giving up before trying something new. If one oil doesn’t work for you it doesn’t mean ALL oils don’t work for you. We’re all made differently, our bodies react differently to different plants. Lavender calms some people down, but with kiddos who are already more active and easily excited, it actually amps them up and it’s WILD ORANGE and PEPPERMINT that will calm them down when normally, that’s a combo that keeps people awake and alert! TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT.
- Your oils might be good, but they just aren’t the best. Maybe you use oils from a company you LOVE and that’s awesome. You probably feel like they generally have a good product, but sometimes the oil doesn’t seem as strong as it was last time. Before I used doTERRA oils I had this happen ALL THE TIME. I ended up spending 3x the amount trying to get a bottle that was potent enough vs just buying doTERRA. In the almost four years I have been using doTERRA I have never once had a bottle that didn’t meet the standard I was used to.
So those are just a few reasons your essential oils don’t work! If you have questions feel free to send me a message on Instagram @whereshegrows ♥